There are several musical instruments, and they have specific technical features. One of these specialized features is the tuning process of the instrument. For this, you need to consider a few aspects and follow some basic steps. String instruments have many types, but regardless of the style, the important thing is to know the instrument. In addition, as an oud player it can be useful to know what to do when things go wrong.
If the musical instrument is tuned, only some notes can produce the sound it has. Therefore, before playing the oud, you need to know what material it is made of and how many strings it has. It would help if you also learned how to tune the oud and what setting you need to get the sound you want. In this way, you will be more successful and enjoy your work. You can continue reading our article for more detailed information on the subject.
Tuning methods of the oud instrument
There are four basic techniques used in oud tuning. These are as follows:
- Oud, which traditionally has a 5-string structure, is tuned from delicate notes to thick; respectively, It is made in the form of sol, re, la, mi, re.
- The tuning method used in the 6-stringed Oud, known as modern, is applied as sol, re, la, mi, re, respectively.
- Sol, re, la, mi, fa is the system made in the form of sharps.
- It is a tuning system in sol, re, la, mi, si, and the thickest mi.
Can you tune an oud like a guitar?
The oud can be tuned using chromatic tuners. The criterion to be considered is to find and select the symbol specific to the instrument to be tuned. 440 Hz is set on the tuner as the frequency value. Any value other than this will cause the oud's strings to be lower or higher. However, the key section with the key written must be set to C. An oud chord's correctness depends on this instrument's correct key selection.
Tips for making your oud sound better
You should pay attention to some criteria in the oud tuning process. These are as follows:
- Only push the tuned auger into the slot with more force than necessary. This auger is tight and does not move when tuning later. The jolt of this hard separation can cause other augers to beat.
- It would help if you did not get the auger wet. Otherwise, it will swell in the nest.
- It needs to be corrected to loosen the auger from the slot during tuning, rotate it without pressing it, and push it when tuning. Moreover, since the force is difficult to adjust in this thrust, the auger often gets very tight.
As Sultan Instrument, we have discussed how to tune the oud in this article. Our goal is to reduce costs and hassles for our valued customers and to present the best instruments worldwide. You can visit our website for detailed information about our products.